pay your bill online

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide can result from the incomplete combustion of any fossil fuel. Natural gas appliances are designed and installed in a manner to eliminate this concern, if operated properly. As with all energy, careful diligence must be exercised with natural gas. Appliances must be properly operated and maintained to insure your safety. The information on carbon monoxide below is adapted from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website; for additional information visit www.cdc.gov/co.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and, yes, occasionally from natural gas ranges and heating systems. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

Red blood cells pick up CO quicker than they pick up oxygen. If there is a lot of CO in the air, the body may replace oxygen in blood with CO. This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which can damage tissues and result in death.

Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?

All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning. Certain groups — unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems — are more susceptible to its effects. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. Fatality is highest among Americans 65 and older.

· Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

· Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don't have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.

· If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator's cooling unit have an expert service it. An odor from the cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit. It could also be giving off CO.

· When purchasing gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as the American Gas Association or Underwriters' Laboratories.

· Install a quality battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

  • All gas appliances designed to be vented must be vented properly to the outside so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never disconnect, shorten, block, damper or divert a vent pipe.
  • Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or pipes aren't fitted tightly.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Have your solid fuel burning chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
Properly Venting Gas Appliances
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a buildup of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a charcoal grill or a barbecue grill indoors. Using a grill indoors will cause a buildup of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper unless you use it inside a vented fireplace.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal — red, gray, black, or white — gives off CO.
  • Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window, door, or vent.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window, door, or vent.
  • Never run a car or truck in the garage with the garage door shut. CO can build up quickly while your car or truck is running in a closed garage.
  • If you drive a vehicle with a liftgate or tailgate, when you open the gate you also need to open vents or windows to make sure air is moving through the vehicle. With only the gate open, CO can build up in the vehicle.
  •  Never run a vehicle inside a garage that is attached to a house and always open the door to any garage to let in fresh air when running a vehicle inside the garage.
">randomness